So unfortunately due to having to work today this guy was not able to watch the Microsoft conference live. However, with the support of some friends telling me all about it plus looking at some of the bigger news stories to come out of it I think I can get a decent picture of what was announced. Apologies if I miss anything but I will be able to watch ALL THE OTHER ONES as they happen. SO MICROSOFT, what did you bring to the E3 table this year?
XBOX Scarlett Announced
So we are officially into the Endgame of this generation of consoles with the announcement that the Xbox Scarlett will be coming out by the end of 2020. Still a long time to wait but I expected Microsoft to bring out something big with Sony taking a nap this year instead and big they went. So what will the Scarlett, which Chrome’s auto correct is trying to tell me is wrong and for all I know is just a codeword for the console, bring that the Xbone does not?
Well it promises to be four times as powerful as the current console and can display up to 8K resolution with 120 frames per second. On the performance side it will feature a Solid State Drive that will ramp up the performance of the console. Apparently it could be goodbye to loading times. We will miss you. Sorta.
It also seems like they want Scarlett to be as capable of streaming a game as it would be to run a game via a disc or a download. Time will tell on that one and admittedly, they have a lot of time to make sure they follow through on their promises.
So a new console is great and all but what about some games? Well it’s Microsoft and they only really need one game to get people excited…
Halo: Infinite will be a launch title for the Xbox Scarlett but if you’re not planning on picking up a Scarlett on launch then you’re still in luck – Fall 2020 will see the next instalment in the Master Chief saga coming to Windows and Xbox One too. Not much was shown this year but expect more details in approximately exactly a year from now. It’s Halo, though, people will be excited.
But that’s the future, what about the present? Or the slightly nearer future? Well…
Keanu Reeves is in Cyberpunk
As somebody who does not own an Xbox One but is interested in the next CD Project Red game Cyberpunk 2077, Keanu Freakin’ Reeves is in the game.
The trailer is purely cinematic so still no gameplay BUT we do have a release date – 16th of April 2020. I am very much looking forward to seeing more of this game.
Double Fine is now a part of Microsoft
So Tim Schafer’s Double Fine has been purchased by Microsoft as they continue to add talented indie development studios to their portfolio. They showed off a trailer for the upcoming Psychonauts 2 which is still coming to all the consoles at SOME point this year.
Gears of War V has a release date
September 10th. Orrrr if you have the Xbox Game Pass you can play it five days early. They also announced some new games for said Game Pass including Metro Exodus and that there will be an Ultimate Game Pass which will include an Xbox Live subscription. And ALSO the Game Pass is now in Beta on the PC and will include the Master Chief Collection.
IT’S OFFICIAL: George R. R. Martin teaming up with Hidetaka Miyazaki
Elden Ring is the game that will marry the minds of Game of Thrones author George R. R. Marin with Dark Souls creator Hidetaka Miyazaki. Naturally it seems to be based on more Western fantasy and it revolves around the Elden Ring, a magical ring that was shattered into pieces and resulted in bad times happening to the world. No gameplay or release date announced but it could be an interesting game especially with the Souls game being so rich with lore and add Martin to the mix it will be worth keeping an eye on this one.
And some of the other stuff!
- Microsoft Flight Simulator is flying onto Xbox Ones this year. I tried playing one as a child but whatever joystick I had to use did not work and I never bothered trying to play it again.
- LEGO Forza. Forza Horizon 4 is getting some LEGO content out this week. Also TT Games announced a new LEGO Star Wars game that will encompass all nine of the mainline movie games.
- Age of Empires II will be released in a Definite Edition with 4K resolution. It’s a classic and I really wanna revisit it one day.
- SEGA announced that Phantasy Star Online 2 will come out in the West on the Xbox One and PC next year. It only came out on PC in Japan in 2012 so I’m a little worried they are rushing into this.
- There’s a new Tales game next year – Tales of Arise. Never played a Tales game though I do have Vesperia on the PS4 so I should get on that.
- There’s also a new Dragon Ball Z game, this one called Dragon Ball Z Karakrot and is an Action RPG.
- Project xCloud is the streaming technology Microsoft is developing to help you play the Xbox One ANYWHERE. Providing Anywhere is a screen in your house.
That’s about all the news I saw, I likely missed things but I also missed the entire presentation because of work but I think I at least hit all the big news. I may not be a Microsoft guy but there are some interesting things coming out of Camp Xbox and it’s related partners that even a Sony/Nintendo guy can look forward to. I’ll see you next after Bethesda do their conference.